Wednesday 18 April 2012

Outback Thoughts...

Because I have been putting off writing about my week in the outback of northern Australia, I figured I would just do a 2-for-1 and post my reflection for my class as my journal. I'm adding lots of pics so as not to bore everyone to death because I feel like words become slow and meaningless as I try to describe the amazing beauty, serenity, and peace I felt during my week in the outback. So here it is, at long last, my outback thoughts...


When I first heard about studying abroad in Australia, I was so excited and inspired by the infamous photograph of the students riding camels along Cable Beach at sunset. I could not wait for the day that I could travel to Broome to have that same experience. However, once accepted, the Saint Ben’s and Saint John’s study abroad group was informed that due to funding restrictions, they would no longer be able to travel that far north for their excursion. Saddened, frustrated, and disappointed I was convinced that there would be no trip even remotely comparable to the Broome excursion trip. However, I am pleased to say that after my week in the outback of Australia near Shark Bay, I have been blessed and gifted with the opportunity of christening the new excursion opportunity.
Contrary to the Broome excursion, I had little to no expectations set in place for the Shark Bay excursion. I did not want to end up feeling disappointed and annoyed, so instead I went into the week with an open mind and the hope that the trip would be as life changing as the Broome trip had proved to be for past study abroad students. I can honestly say that the moments and cultural bumps I experienced along the way have helped to influence my thoughts and beliefs in regards to the Aboriginal people of Western Australia.
I believe I got the most out of the trip when I was able to interact with the Aboriginal people. Their talk really opened my eyes to some of the conditions that the Aboriginal people underwent as part of their relocation to the missions and camps. When I first realized that New Norcia, the place where we were actually staying, used to be used as a dormitory for children from the Stolen Generations, I was beside myself. I was plagued by feelings of anger and frustration. I kept thinking, really, we are staying in a place that children were forced to stay in once they were removed from their parents. However, after speaking more with Farther Bernard, I was able to further understand how the New Norcia mission was operated.

                           New Norcia Bushwalk
                                        New Norcia bakery - making hot cross buns
                           Fr. Bernard showing us all the edible food located in Australia's bush
          Some of the gum from the gum trees! It had no taste, but note the black stuff...that would be      bark from the tree!!
                                                      Licking the gum on the tree!

They helped me to create a viewpoint from both the religious life and from a member of the Stolen Generations. It was not that the brothers and priests were endorsing that these children be removed from their homes, but rather, they were appointed by the state as a relocation facility. As he spoke about his personal testimony from his time in the mission, I began to realize that as an outsider looking in, there tends to be a focus only on the negative. He told us so much more about how although he remembers moments of feeling sad and alone, he was able to find happiness and move past the bad that has happened in his life. I felt that he had so much to teach us about not holding hate against people and their actions, and instead using those negative experiences to learn and grow. Just as his time has help to shape and mold his life, I felt that he was helping to shape and mold us as people too.


                                   My Aboriginal Art painting using Aboriginal symbols
 Practicing my hand at boomerang throwing...not quite as difficult as one would have thought. Also, note my super attractive baller shorts....yeah, we had to wear longer shorts to show respect so I brought out the gangsta shorts!
 Spear throwing...I almost made it to the bulls eye!
When our group continued bush bashing further north, I was really began to feel like we were heading into the land of Australia’s outback when we first saw the red dirt roads. As it began to consume our views, I started to feel like I was creating a deeper connection with the land that we had heard so much about from previous students. The day we spent in Shark Bay with Capes really allowed me to more fully understand some of the Aboriginal practices and perspectives in relation to the earth and its creations.


 Sydney II War Memorial. Each bird in the dome represents each life lost in the sunken ship.
 Looking out to the exact spot the Sydney II memorial was recovered....funny thing is, this statue was placed here long before the ship was ever recovered or discovered on the ocean floor!
                             Original, untouched Aboriginal artwork on a cave wall
                                            Beautiful outlook near the ocean!
 The water here was so clear and beautiful! There was a shell beach nearby as well!!
       We found this creepy little guy chilling on our tour of the telegraph system of Western Australia.
 Eagle Bluff overlook. Here we saw dolphins, sharks and even some sting rays! We were split between ocean bluff and red rock dirt on the other side of the path. Not to quote Hannah Montana, but we had the best of both worlds!

We were able to go on a kayak trip along the coastline at Shark Bay, and I was amazed by the knowledge and expertise of our guide. An Aboriginal man himself, he would quickly kayak to a sting ray or a shark and yell to us to follow suit. As I saw a sea turtle hurriedly pass beneath my kayak I thought about how Capes explained that every year some of his community members celebrate their heritage by having a traditional Aboriginal feast that has some of the very sea life we were seeing. I could not even imagine how tough it must have been to catch such animals, but even before I could ponder that more, Capes had gone kayaking like mad to catch that very sea turtle. To my surprise he doubled out of his kayak, hopped back in and paddled over to us with an amazing surprise – he had caught the sea turtle for us to hold! I was so impressed by his speed and agility in catching the turtle, as well as his determination. It made me think about how much knowledge the Aboriginal people have in relation to the land. They had to gather their food and live amongst nature, instead of manipulating nature to produce for them. It made me realize how much I take all that I have for granted; the berries on the shelves in the grocery store, the meat already processed for me.
 Finally making it to Shark Bay where we watched an absolutely gorgeous sunset!


                                                                      Breathtaking!

                              Finally starting to go bush-wacking amongst the red dirt roads!
 We got to pet a baby Joey named Nikki! She was so little and hung out in that red bag because it acted as her pouch!
                              Nothing beats an Off Road Tour on the shore of Shark Bay!
                                              Where we got to hang out for the day
 Such a wise and inspirational man full of Aboriginal knowledge...he is really connected to the land.
                                                                 Kangaroo tracks!
 We got to make damper, a bread like thing, and cook it over the campfire. I had been longing for a good campfire!!
                                                                    Our kayaks!

                                               The red dirt took a toll on our shoes!

When we finished off the evening at Shark Bay, we were all gathered around the fire listening to the traditional melody of the didgeridoo. I could not help but think how hospitable everyone had been for our large group on the trip. Everyone we had encountered had been so friendly and willing to help us. As Capes spoke a few final words of wisdom to our group I just gazed at the millions of stars that were painted across the sky. With my feet in the red dirt of the north and my heart open and willing to be fed with the Aboriginal knowledge, Capes explained that when you are able to speak to the earth, and truly listen to its response, you will find yourself at peace and withholding respect for the creation you have been blessed with.


 
 Michael and I made a great kayaking duo...we trusted each other enough that we were both standing and rowing at one point!
 Kayakers with style
 Our fishing crew after we accidentally caught a shark in our fishing net (don't worry it didn't have teeth!!)
 We had to walk the net out into the water, so you can about imagine our reactions when he told us we had caught that shark!
 Group shot after a long day of riding in the bus
Yes, I finally got to hold a sea turtle! This little guy is an Olive Riddler sea turtle, which just so happen to be the rarest breed around!!!



With those final words and photos, I have to say that our excursion far surpassed anything I could have hoped for our group. It was definitely memorable and taught be so much about being open to learning, even when you are unsure of how that learning may force change upon your own life. It will be an experience not soon forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment